My first half marathon was a measly 8:51 average mile. My first 5k a couple weeks earlier average mile was only 8:21 mile! I want… NEED to get in the 7’s before next race season. I’ve worked hard to get my body to where it is today. Now I see I need to work even harder to get it to perform where I want it to perform! Now, how the hell am I going to do that?!
Well, my current running schedule is as such:
- Sunday = Speed day (really, I just push to run in the mid 8 min pace)
- Tuesday = Easy run day (usually about 45 min – 9 min mile pace)
- Wednesday = Easy run day (usually about 30 min – 9 min mile pace)
- Friday = Long day (gradually increasing in distance at about 10 min mile pace)
I need to change things. So here’s what I’m going to change to:
- Sunday = 60 min – Easy (8:50 mile pace- current half marathon pace)
- Tuesday = Intervals (800m warm up, 400m – 8min mile, 200 9min mile x 8, 800m cool down)
- Wednesday = 45 min – Easy (8:50 min mile)
- Friday = Long Day – Slow (distance gradually increases each week)
So what I did with the new “plan” is speed up my slow days. Moved my “speed” day to Tuesday, and made it into intervals. Now the intervals will change every few weeks to a faster pace. I’ll also be adding in swimming, and cycling soon, to get my triathlon fitness going.
Now if anyone out there, has a better idea/plan for me to get faster, I’m all ears!!! Please post in the comments! If this plan doesn’t work, I’ll have to break down and hire a coach, and I definitely don’t have the money to do that right now.